Chimol is an essential for BBQ's, especially in the summer. It is the perfect salsita to put on your carnita asada, arroz y tortillas! Honestly, I put chimol on just about anything, even hot dogs! Hehehe.
Chimol is what Hondurans call a fresh salsa consisting of cilantro, onion, tomato, lime and salt! Mexicans (and the rest of N.America) call it "Pico de Gallo"
Chimol is super easy to make, and I promise it will be a hit at your next BBQ! During the summer months, I chop up some fresh fruit, usually mango, or peaches and throw it in! The orange color of he fruit makes the salsa very visually appealing, and it tastes so good. Time to make some summer chimol!
You will need:
- 1 onion
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 5 tomatoes
- 1 mango
- 1 jalapeno (*If you don't like spicy, don't add)
- 2 limes
- Large bowl
- Chopping board
- Wooden spoon or something to mix
- Thoroughly wash all of your ingredients.
- Dice tomatoes finely, add into bowl.
- Dice onions as coarsely or as finely as you like, add into bowl.
- Peel mango and dice it! Throw into bowl.
- Cut the stems off the bouquet of cilantro. Chop the pile of cilantro leaves, as coarsely or as finely as you like. Add to bowl.
- Cut the jalapeno in half and take the seeds out, dice jalapeno as coarsely or as finely as you like. I recommend chopping the jalapeno finely, that way it won't kick as fast. If you don't like spicy, or are making a "kid friendly" salsa, don't add the jalapeno.
- Cut limes in half and squeeze juice into bowl
- Add 2 pinches of salt into bowl, and mix with spoon.
- TASTE! :) If you think it needs more lemon or salt, add at your discretion!
Hope that was easy and straight forward enough to understand!! Let me know how it goes ;)